For years we all have been inviting people of different languages to faith and to God's massage of Submission. It is logic that mandates the translation of Quran from its revealed Arabic text along with the findings of its mathematical miracle into different languages to establish the message of Submission for all people and to provide them with the proof of Quran's divine authorship. English is the most important language of all being a universal one.
While explaining and delivering the message of God, we have been emphasizing that Quran is a book to study and live by. Therefore, reading Quran must be accomplished in the language each one masters in order to grasp its meanings and apply its ethics and laws to daily life.
41:44 has gained over the years a special importance to assure non-Arabic speakers that they are perfectly safe reading a translation of Quran in the language they understand. For those who understand the true context of 41:44, it has become a typical observation that some non-Arabic speakers have the divine meanings and concepts of Quran engraved in their hearts without being able to read or understand the revealed Arabic words of God. This is simply because they have chosen God to be their Ally and Master, so He continues to guide their hearts to His divine truth irrespective of any inaccuracies or flaws in the human-made translations they read. Their logic and conscious automatically adjust to and resonate with the Quran's ethics, spirit and laws- such is God's guidance promised for those who take the initiative, choose Him and seek His truth (19:76).
With the frequent reference to 41:44, abuse has become a choice by some. 41:44, and its subtitle, has been abused by some who lack the understanding of its true meaning to imply that the language of Quran that God has specifically chosen to reveal His final scripture in is irrelevant ; Arabic of Quran is irrelevant. It has become evident over the years that this notion is promoted by those who personally wish to exalt the English translation and to exalt God's Messenger of the Covenant. Little by little, they have lost their grounds and have been driven with the flow of the majority to cherish and defend the words of a man in a translation over God and His infallible words in His Quran. This is not strange and should not be surprising. In fact, we all know and have experienced how idol worship could easily creep into our hearts and pollute our souls.
This reminder is to invite the reverent believers (87:10, 50:45) to strive in God's cause and try to bring the real context behind 41:44 back to attention. They have an obligation to nullify the CRIMINAL notion that Arabic language of Quran is the irrelevant issue addressed in 41:44 or in its man-made subtitle. Please reflect:
Language is Irrelevant [41:44] If we made it a non-Arabic Quran they would have said, "Why did it come down in that language?" Whether it is Arabic or non-Arabic, say, "For those who believe, it is a guide and healing. As for those who disbelieve, they will be deaf and blind to it, as if they are being addressed from faraway."
- Without examining the Arabic text of the verse, it is clear that the context behind the verse is the same as the point made above: those who take the initiative and choose God and seek His truth are promised to be fully supported by His guidance. Meanings and values of Quran will be engraved in their hearts and souls as guide and healing irrespective of its language, non-Arabic or Arabic. As for those who choose disbelief, they will be deaf and and their eyes will always be veiled. .
- "guide and healing" for the sincere irrespective of language does NOT translate into dismissing the original revealed words of God becuase Arabic is irrelevant! God who has emphasized over and over in Quran how important revealing Quran in Arabic would not introduce that CORRUPTED interpretation.
- God's Messenger of the Covenant used the subtitle "Language is Irrelevant" to bring the point across that choosing God and believing in Him is the relevant issue, not the language. He did not say "Arabic is Irrelevant". He was not an ignorant man to promote that. Please read the footnote of 12: 2. It shows his guided convictions and understanding of 41:44. In that footnote, he is referring readers to 41:44 to highlight the importance of why Quran was revealed in Arabic.
[12:2] We have revealed it an Arabic Quran, that you may understand.* *12:2 Why was the Quran revealed in Arabic? See 41:44 and Appendix 4.
- Furthermore, if we have a look at the original text of Quran, we will realize that the question " Why did it come down in that language?", referring to the non-Arabic language in the sentence before, DOES NOT EXIST. Instead, another statement exists: "If only its verses could have been detailed".
وَلَو جَعَلنٰهُ قُرءانًا أَعجَمِيًّا لَقالوا لَولا فُصِّلَت ءايٰتُهُ ءَأَعجَمِىٌّ وَعَرَبِىٌّ قُل هُوَ لِلَّذينَ ءامَنوا هُدًى وَشِفاءٌ وَالَّذينَ لا يُؤمِنونَ فى ءاذانِهِم وَقرٌ وَهُوَ عَلَيهِم عَمًى أُولٰئِكَ يُنادَونَ مِن مَكانٍ بَعيدٍ
Language is Irrelevant [41:44] If we made it a non-Arabic Quran they would have said, ("Why did it come down in that language?" / this question does not exist in the Arabic text of Quran.) Whether it is Arabic or non-Arabic, say, "For those who believe, it is a guide and healing. As for those who disbelieve, they will be deaf and blind to it, as if they are being addressed from faraway."
The Arabic text of 41:44 states:
[If we made it a non-Arabic Quran they would have said, " If only its verses could have been detailed". Whether it is Arabic or non-Arabic, say, "For those who believe, it is a guide and healing. As for those who disbelieve, they will be deaf and blind to it, as if they are being addressed from faraway."]
In other words, those who choose disbelief, would have complained if Quran was revealed in non-Arabic because in that case, it would have been impossible for its verses to be presented in a fully detailed manner. They would have complained that their scripture is not fully detailed! Then God emphasizes that whether it is Arabic or non-Arabic, it is a guide and healing for the believers and it is always falling on deaf ears and blind eyes in the case of choosing disbelief.
- It is important to notice that the hypothetical complain in that verse posed by God is not presented in vain or for us to wrongly conclude that Arabic is irrelevant. To the contrary, it is presented to understand that Quran would have never presented in a precise, fully detailed manner if it was revealed in another language. It is not a coincidence that specific verse about the detailed and efficient Arabic language of Quran is in chapter : "Detailed" / فُصِّلَت ; the same exact word in the complain of the disbelievers: لَولا فُصِّلَت ءايٰتُهُ / "If only its verses could have been detailed".
- The abuse of the verse and its subtitle by some in situations when the revealed Arabic words of Quran are used in discussions as an ultimate reference is an idol worshiping practice. Because the statue they worship is a human-messenger and a man-made translation, they heedlessly try to turn off God's light and dismiss any new knowledge or a better understanding based on the divine choice of words. One of their tactics to dismiss such information and magnify their idol is to remind others with 41:44 and introduce the blasphemy that Arabic is irrelevant. They do not understand that in doing this they are aggressively fighting God and His words and totally disregarding the strict monotheistic path God's Messenger of the Covenant was following and advocating.
[6:114] Shall I seek other than God as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.
[6:115] The word of your Lord is complete, in truth and justice. Nothing shall abrogate His words. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.
[18:27] You shall recite what is revealed to you of your Lord's scripture. Nothing shall abrogate His words, and you shall not find any other source beside it.
[5:50] Is it the law of the days of ignorance that they seek to uphold? Whose law is better than God's for those who have attained certainty?
[41:3] A scripture whose verses provide the complete details, in an Arabic Quran, for people who know.
[20:113] We thus revealed it, an Arabic Quran, and we cited in it all kinds of prophecies, that they may be saved (that they may revernce God in Arabic text), or it may cause them to take heed.
[26:195] In a perfect Arabic tongue.
[39:28] An Arabic Quran, without any ambiguity, that they may be righteous ( reverent in Arabic text).
- It's a fact that the Arabic language is the most efficient and detail-oriented language when it comes to expressing specifications. Many details could be told in one word or one sentence in a very specific grammatical format in contrary to other languages. It was God's infinite mercy to have this book of guidance detailed and revealed in Arabic in order to establish the truth and specify the laws and systems in the most accurate, efficient, and comprehensive written and readable format. Translating Quran in different languages comes as a next step after grasping the specified details narrated by God in Arabic.
[43:3] We have rendered it an Arabic Quran, that you may understand.* *43:3 Arabic is the most efficient language, especially in expressing commandments, statutes and exacting laws. Hence the revelation of the Quran in Arabic for the clear understanding of all peoples, regardless of their tongues. See Appendix 4 for the details.
- There is ONLY one Quran. It does not have different versions or editions. The only Quran we know of was revealed to prophet Muhammad in a perfect Arabic tongue and it is authored by God. It is the ONLY verifiable, divine and valid truth we have despite the wishes or the claims of the criminals.
[10:82] God establishes the truth with His words, despite the criminals.
- It's ONLY Quran, in its revealed Arabic tongue, that establishes the divine truth. It's ONLY Quran, in its Arabic tongue, that contains the awesome, built-in mathematical proof. It's ONLY the revealed Arabic words that are authenticated by that mathematical proof. It's ONLY the revealed Arabic text that is considered the verifiable word of God. It's also the grammatical structure of that perfect revealed Arabic text that makes us increase our knowledge and grasp real understandings of this amazing scripture and appreciate all recent scientific discoveries about God's creation. It's ONLY the revealed Arabic word of God that will last until the end of the world as the ONLY ultimate reference and the ABSOLUTE truth in all cases of dispute:
[13:37] We revealed these laws in Arabic, and if you ever acquiesce to their wishes, after this knowledge has come to you, you will have no ally, nor a protector, against God.
- God has allowed (authorized) God's Messenger of the Covenant to translate Quran in the English language, but those who choose the idol worship path think that he was "authorized" to edit, or abrogate God's divine words and His detailed, and infallible systems ; they think he was "authorized" to come up with "something new", an "edited version" to establish what God didn't establish in His divine Arabic scripture. Once this stand of idol worship is taken, defended and promoted, they are prevented by God to see His light and are deprived of His approval.
[47:23] It is those who incurred a curse from God, whereby He rendered them deaf and blind.
[47:24] Why do they not study the Quran carefully? Do they have locks on their minds?
[19:75] Say, "Those who choose to go astray, the Most Gracious will lead them on, until they see what is promised for them - either the retribution or the Hour. That is when they find out who really is worse off, and weaker in power."
[4:116] God does not forgive idol worship (if maintained until death), and He forgives lesser offenses for whomever He wills. Anyone who idolizes any idol beside God has strayed far astray.
Peaceful Friday, salaam and God bless.